[Farmall] Farmall 504 diesel engine

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 02:52:43 PST 2005

As I understand it, not only is vibration a problem for a 4 cylinder
engine, but there is torsional stress on the crankshaft and also pulsing
at the flywheel due to the uneven firing. This would be magnified
greatly in a diesel engine because of higher compression, etc. The
choice of engineers is to either add mass to the rotating assembly by
beefing up the crankshaft, possibly requiring significant design
changes, greatly increase the size of the flywheel, add a harmonic
balancer in front, or alternatively to incorporate a geared balancer
mechanism to smooth out the pulses. That is my understanding, but I am
not an engineer and could be completely off base.

Mike

Dean Vinson wrote:
> Mike Sloane wrote:
>

> Just out of curiousity, does anybody know why the balancer wasn't used
> on the gasoline engine?  My loose and pretty un-schooled understanding
> is that four-cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced at higher RPMs
> due to the differing travel distance of the connecting rods on the
> upstroke vs downstroke, or something like that, while six-cylinder
> engines are inherently balanced.  But as I think about it, it seems the
> connecting rod physics would be the same regardless of number of
> cylinders.  And either way, assuming the diesel and gas engines are both
> four-cylinder, I'd have thought they'd both have an equal need for a
> balancer.
>
> Dean Vinson  --  Dayton Ohio
> <http://my.voyager.net/~vinsond/>

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books,
and there is some evidence that they can't read them either. -Gore Vidal
(1925- )