[Farmall] Farmall 504 diesel engine

Dean Vinson vinsond at voyager.net
Wed Jan 19 15:01:54 PST 2005

Mike Sloane wrote:

> Yes, according to the parts manual, that is the balancer drive. It is
> not on the gasoline version of the engine.

>> When taking the crankshaft out of a 504 diesel. What is the unit that
>> is bolted to the bottom of the block in the center of the crankshaft
>> for.

Just out of curiousity, does anybody know why the balancer wasn't used
on the gasoline engine?  My loose and pretty un-schooled understanding
is that four-cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced at higher RPMs
due to the differing travel distance of the connecting rods on the
upstroke vs downstroke, or something like that, while six-cylinder
engines are inherently balanced.  But as I think about it, it seems the
connecting rod physics would be the same regardless of number of
cylinders.  And either way, assuming the diesel and gas engines are both
four-cylinder, I'd have thought they'd both have an equal need for a
balancer.

Dean Vinson  --  Dayton Ohio
<http://my.voyager.net/~vinsond/>