[AT] Cleaning out Tractor cooling system

Warren F. Smith WarrenSmith at PalmettoBuilders.net
Wed Jan 19 10:16:48 PST 2005

>>	I'm usually not one to bring up scare tactics to others other
>>than to advise being careful. In the case of pits, it is a different
>>story. I have a lot of experience with my men going into manholes in
>>streets and can tell you a hole in the ground like a grease pit can
>>be a deadly thing. I have yet to ever allow a man to go into
>>one without
SNIP

We have built several pits for customers over the years. They have all been
ventilated by a powered exhaust fan. The fan is always remotely located,
often on the roof. Depending on the pit size, we have simply stubbed 6" or
8" PVC through the pit wall at its floor level. We fabricate a mesh screen
to cover the opening. The pipe comes out of the ground at the nearest wall
and runs exposed to thru the roof. The fans have been wired with a 24 hr
timer and indicator light or a switch. I suppose you could use a motion
detector and indicator light as well. All lighting in the pit is explosion
proof and there are plenty of air taps to eliminate the temptation to use
electric tools. The waste oil resevoir is usually tucked in a niche to one
side with a diaphragm pump used to pump out the tank. The explosion and
suffocation risks are very real, but with some caution they are a pleasure
to work in.

Warren