[Farmall] Re: 240

Arthur Umland artsd at aol.com
Wed Jan 19 10:57:01 PST 2005

Thanks for the good advice Mike. How does one place a "standing search"
into eBay? While I have been using eBay for quite some time, I
certainly do not know and use many of its features. I do not check in
on eBay  a regular basis, just now and again.

Presently, I have a couple of Farmall H's, a 1951 Super C and an F-20
residing on the family farm in NE. My only real use for a tractor is
doing some mowing and various odd jobs on the approximately 3 acre, 1
horse (my daughter's) operation that I have. I enjoy the '51 Super C,
but it lacks a two point/three point hitch and live PTO. The smaller
size of the Super C is appreciated over the larger H. So, that is why I
am interested in the Farmall/IH 200 series.

Either the Farmall row crop or IH utility would work well for me, and I
was simply keeping my options open by considering either one of them.
Along with some light work, I would also like to be able to take this
tractor to antique tractor shows, especially our annual IHC SD Chapter
#21 show. Some mowing and a loader would be all I really need for
equipment. While reading up on IH equipment, the 240 appeared to meet
my needs nicely.

While your suggestion for considering a 340 would be valid if my needs
were greater, the 240 should be fine, and possibly less expensive. The
smaller size of the 240 is preferred over the 340.  And if I win the
lottery, one of each would be ideal!

I should know this I am sure, but what do you mean by "independent pto"
as opposed to "live pto?" Off hand, I am not sure of the distinction
between those two terms.

      Regards,
                           Art
P.S. a warm front moved through on Tuesday and the temperature is
actually above freezing again! Shed the parka.  :)