[Farmall] Re: 240

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jan 19 03:02:21 PST 2005

I am about as far from SD as you can get (although at 7 degrees F this
morning, it probably feels like it outside), so I can't help you there.
But you can start by placing "wanted" ads in the ATIS
<http://www.antique-tractor.com/classifieds/viewads.phtml> and YT Mag
<http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/clasquery.pl> classifieds, put a standing
search into eBay, and letting folks in general know what you are looking
for. There are a couple of Farmall groups on Yahoo
<http://groups.yahoo.com/> that you can join and use to spread the word
also. Also, many newspapers across the country have on-line versions,
and some of them have their classified ads included; look up the papers
in the areas you are willing to travel to and see what they might have
available. I am sure others reading this have other suggestions...

I should note that the Farmall 240 was a "standard" farm tractor, while
the International version was a "utility" version - much lower with an
adjustable wide front end. The 240 is a somewhat modernized version of
the machine that started life out as the Farmall C in 1939, became the
Super C, then the 200, 230 and finally the 240. So while the 240 has an
integrated live hydraulic system, Fast Hitch or 3 point, and full
instruments, it is still in many ways a Farmall Super C under the
covers, for better or for worse. :-) I do like my I240, but the 340 is a
true "next generation" tractor, with (optional) independent PTO, TA,
power steering, 5 speed transmission, and a choice of Fast Hitch or
3-point. There is also a diesel version, should you be lucky enough to
find one, as well as a tracked model.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books,
and there is some evidence that they can't read them either. -Gore Vidal
(1925- )