[AT] computer problems

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Jan 16 10:38:38 PST 2005

USB or Firewire, but not both at the same time.  It's a Western Digital.
I figure any time the price on storage drops below $1 per Gigabyte, it
has to be a bargain.  I can remember when it was in the neighborhood of
$1 per byte!

I haven't done any through-put experiments myself, but from what I see
posted on the Internet, the through-put of Firewire (at 400 Mbs) is
better than USB 2.0 (at 480 Mbs because Firewire is a peer-to-peer
connection and doesn't have the management overhead to support it that
is inherent in USB.  So much overhead is going back and forth on USB
that it's amazing any data gets transferred at all.  I downloaded the
entire USB standard about a month ago (nearly 900 pages) and read it in
preparation for giving a talk to our local computer group on the
differences.  The bottom line on USB is that if you can connect the
hardware together using readily available cables, the entire system is
supposed to work.  The standard actually says that.  It also says that
the ports are to be tested by the software and that a warning message
must appear on the computer monitor when a high speed device (USB 2.0)
is connected to a regular one (USB 1.0) that is higher in the pyramidal
communication structure.  That is also a part of the USB standard.  But
it is a lip-service warning only.  You can bypass it and continue to
operate your system.  I do that on a regular basis.  I have a laptop
that has a USB 1.0 controller in it.  As soon as I hook any USB 2.0
device to it, I get the warning on the screen.  Since I regularly hook
an external DVD read/write unit, my external hard drive, a printer, and
a couple of scanners to that system, I sometimes have to bypass as many
as five warnings when I plug them all in.

The latest in USB is an amorphous device that will act as the host when
no other is present but acts like a slave unit on all other occasions.
Some of the new stand-alone printers are in that category so that you
can upload images from a digital camera and print them without having to
go through your computer.  It's the USB's answer to the competition from
Firewire.

Larry