[AT] A cow and farming ramble

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Sat Jan 15 07:22:53 PST 2005

Ok, now it's my turn for a tractor ramble (you asked for it)  ...

I grew up next door to my paternal grandparents and since I was the
oldest grandchild I'm sure I was "cock of the walk".
My mother delights in telling two stories on me-
In the first (I think I was around 4 at the time) I heard my
grandfather's Allis D-14 working in a field so I went and found him and
later came riding up to the house on the tractor with him.  The second
is I asked my mom one day "Why don't you sell me to grandpa".  She asked
me "Well, how much do you think I should ask him".  I replied "Well, I
should be worth at least $2".
Of course, Grandpa is gone now (about 20 years ago).  I'm lucky enough
to live in the house he and my Grandma built and I still have the trusty
Allis D-14 and all of it's implements.  There's still nothing like the
sound of the Allis's engine under a load.
In this area, the main cash crop for farmers was tobacco.  We grew the
burley tobacco and I remember the BIG dinners (noontime meal) that all
shared in at harvest time.  For labor here, the various families would
take turns harvesting each others fields - they were usually "primed"
(the leaves of the tobacco crop were harvested about once a week so
sharing the labor was a natural idea. The woman of the household would
usually be responsible for preparing the meal and would do the cooking
rather than working at the curing barn (there were numerous steps
required to "put in" a barn of tobacco for curing - maybe the topic of a
later post)and the meal would usually be ready about noon or maybe a bit
later.  A big farm at that time would farm about 5 acres of tobacco
(carefully surveyed by the government for price supports) and usually a
barn could be filled in about 3/4 of a day (starting at about 4 AM and
ending in mid afternoon.
Two things that especially stick out in my mind are the wonderful meals
and the morning snack - usually just a bottle of soda pop (a drink) and
some "nabs" (Nabisco snack crackers).
Lots of hard work but also lots of good memories.   Of course I was too
small at that time to share in the hard work - I got the light work jobs
like keeping the stringing bucks supplied with empty sticks and tobacco
stringing twine.  Later (during my high school years - mid 70's) I made
my summer spending money hiring out to various neighbors as the "family
share the labor" idea had broken down as there weren't many families big
enough in numbers who still farmed to provide the labor.  After I left
for college automation, bulk curing barns and migrant labor replaced
many of the traditional farming jobs in this area.  Now, with the end of
the tobacco quota system, I'm sure changes will ripple through the local
farm economy once again.

David