[AT] A cow and farming ramble

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Sat Jan 15 04:57:47 PST 2005

Before I was old enough to drive a tractor, I had a "guard cow".  I wasn't
old enough to remember it, but I had fell (probably climbing over the gate,
a big no-no) and was being "guarded" by the milk cow until someone got
there.

We always left the calf on the cow, as we wouldn't use all she produced.  We
would pen the calf in the morning, then milk half of her in the evening,
then turn her back to her calf.

Want a week-day only cow?  Keep the calf.  Leave them together on days you
don't want to milk.

---