[AT] Re: Hydraulic components & galvanised fittings..

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 10 08:03:06 PST 2005

Mike Sloane wrote:

> charlie hill wrote:
> > Richard,
> >
> > Use black iron or stainless steel fittings.  Don't use galvanized unless
> > you have to.
> I think it is a matter of strength - galvanized pieces aren't made of
> high strength materials and should only be used on the low pressure side
> of the line. Don't use bronze/brass either for high pressure, but OK for
> return line.
>
> Mike
>
> >  I can't remember the reason right now but there is some
> > sort of problem with galvanized fittings and oil/fuel lines.  Maybe
> > someone else knows or can refute what I've said.
> >
> > Charlie
>
> --
> Mike Sloane
> Allamuchy NJ
> mikesloane at verizon.net
> Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

FWIW

"...Malleable iron fittings are suitable for inlet, return and
drain lines only. Galvanised pipe or fittings have no place in
a hydraulics system, except to connect cooling water to heat
exchangers. The zinc has adverse effects on some types of oil
additives and could also flake off and cause unit failure."

				Vickers Mobile Hydraulics Manual