[AT] Ramble: I broke a MF 255 into 2 pieces

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sat Jan 8 00:08:10 PST 2005

I am not familiar with the MF Multi-power option but it sounds like its'
braking capability in low range is similar to that of the Farmall Torque
Amplifier when the TA is engaged - that is, it has none.  I'd be interested
in hearing someone who is familiar with both compare and contrast them  -
Thanks in advance.

My SIL has a MF 245 w/o Multi-power.  I think it is a mid to late 70's model
which, for a tractor, is almost like brand new to me.  Anyway I was
surprised when I first drove it a couple of months ago to learn that its'
emergency brake system appeared to be no better than that of the 1940/1950's
tractors that I have.  If the emergency brake on the 255 is similar - and it
has Multi-power - that sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen.

Now, more to my point:  David's account of his 255 incident is too, too
similar - albeit it with a different ending - to one my SIL had with his 245
just last week (New Years day to be exact).  He ran the 245 straight up the
steep hill (probably between 30 & 45 degrees) behind their house to do some
quick plumbing on their water line.  He said he didn't want to shut the
tractor off (as he wanted to let it warm up) so he dropped the bucket,
shifted into neutral, set the brake and then went around in front (thank
goodness it was in front) of the tractor.  He said he no sooner bent over
and picked up a wrench when he heard twigs/branches snapping.  When he
turned around he saw the 245 picking up speed going backwards down the hill
straight toward the house with my daughter and grandson in it (OK they were
his wife and son too).  Fortunately about half way down the hill (probably
75yards from the house) there is an old logging road which runs roughly
perpendicular to the tractors direction of travel.  On the high side of this
road is a ditch probably no more than a foot deep.  When the back tires hit
this ditch the tractor fortunately turned roughly 90 degrees (without
flipping over) and started going at a much slower pace down this road where
the SIL caught up with it.

My daughter called me today and said she thinks she will start speaking to
her husband again this weekend.  When I saw him briefly yesterday he said
"But Dad I set the brake ...the vibration of the engine must have caused the
lock to come out of the detent ..."  What's a FIL to do ... you're supposed
to be mature when you're a grandpa so you can't yell and scream and you
can't pick up a 2x4 cause your' SIL could just pick you up and throw you
over in the corner across the barn.  I guess just be thankful that no one
got hurt.  Sometimes things happen in your' kids lives that you wish you
didn't have to know about.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington