[AT] Ramble: I broke a MF 255 into 2 pieces

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Fri Jan 7 20:29:24 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/7/2005 1:54:49 PM Central Standard Time,
Dlholcombe at una.edu writes:

Why did  it roll off the hill?   It has a high/low range shifter on the dash
on top of the high/low range gear shifter. When the dash shifter is in  low
range the tractor is free wheeling, the transmission will not hold it  back
going down hill. I think we left it in low  range.

Dave:
You were lucky....

My MF 1155 will do this also.  For 10 years we could not shift it into  park
either.  Had to back it over a cross tie when parking it on a slope if  you
were by yourself.

While that Multi-power is a nice thing to have, it has caused more problems
than ony other single component of MF tractors.  When I worked on these
tractors in the late 60's and 70's, 2 out of 3 repairs were for the
Multi-power....   If you let one sit a while they become problems  too....

Never seen one break at the transmission before.  Seen them break at  the
Bell Housing....  Seen the Rear end housing broken, but never the
transmission...........

Hope you can fix the brakes and the brake lock....

Cecil in OKla