[AJD] Gaskets

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Tue Jan 4 21:11:13 PST 2005

I make almost all my own gaskets, maybe from lack of planning as much as
anything: when I'm ready to assemble something I don't want to wait for a
trip or an order to finish the project.  You can cut a gasket for that
crankcase cover in a matter of a very few minutes, it doesn't take much
time.

I would appreciate some chatter on the list, what would be an appropriate
inventory of gasket material to have?  I inventory:
    1/32 inch "tough paper"
    1/16 in same
    1/16 cork
    1/8 cork
    some kind of asbestos stuff for manifolds and such, probably 1/16 or so
thick

    and I bought several thicknesses of felt from McMaster a while back,
have had good success sealing rear axle, crankshaft on flywheel side, and
fan shaft on my H.

The last head gasket I made was for my JD L and it didn't hold up, blew out
in that real thin spot between the cylinders, so I then bought one from JD.
Any hints on making head gaskets?

I treat gaskets with grease only; lubes 'em up so they will slide around and
fit.  Once in a while I get into a nasty application with not very straight
surfaces, like the stamped rear end cover on my H.  I treat that gasket with
any of a variety of sticky sealers.  I don't like to use this unless
necessary, makes disassembly and subsequent cleanup hard.  Of course, if I'd
get it right the first time I wouldn't have to worry about disassembly, at
my age...

B²
Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA