[AJD] Help I need some info for reconditioning items for my 1931 "D"

Kropelin kropelin at netonecom.net
Tue Jan 4 16:55:01 PST 2005

Hello guys,

Well I finally got around to tearing down my D.

The motor was stuck when I bought it last September in Casper, I had  put
about 1/2 gal of diesel in each cylinder for the long ride back to Michigan
and have let it sit since.

Well I pulled the head and removed the valves and just finished cleaning up
the head I am going to make a pressure test plate for it so I  can check for
cracks.

I then removed the block and went to work getting the pistons out of it, I
started with a block of wood the size of the bore but soon gave up and went
to plan "b", I machined a 2in thick piece of steel and made the od of it 6
700in then i machined a concave area with a 1/2 in lip around the outside so
as to put the stress of the blows just inside of the ring lands, I put this
in the cylinder and with a series of sharp and steady blows the pistons came
out!

I spent today getting the rings un-stuck and got the piston pins out of the
pistons.

Now for the tech stuff, I would like to obtain the machine tolerances for
the big and small ends of the rods. The bearings will need to be repoured
and reconditioned as well as the pin bushing. I am looking for the size of
the large end of the rod so I can recondition it and then make bearings to
fit with the shims of course. I will have to grind the crank to repair the
journal.

I also would like to know what grade of babbitt to use? Would high speed
grade be ok as that is what we use in the motor repair shop I work at.

Also can I get oversize wrist pins for the pistons so as to try and salvage
the existing pin bushings?

If there is a publication that has the machine information I would be
interested in getting a  copy if anyone could advise.

By the way the tractor number is 110xxx.
Thanks Kevin