[AJD] '41 B Transmission

Robert M. Massengale ltcmikem at ktc.com
Tue Jan 4 13:22:14 PST 2005

I have my B close to attempting a start after an 18+ month sit out in
the weather.  Just about everything up front looks ready to go...
coolant, compression fuel & spark.  However, I have a concern about
the transmission.  I cannot move the H-L lever into either position...
it's in the middle between the two ranges.  The gear shifter moves
freely up and down the neutral gate, but will only go into the 3-4 gear
gate, and only then with a fair amount of encouragement.

Last week I pulled the transmission/differential refill plug above the
PTO and got a HUGE bath when about five gallons of oily water burst
from the hole and went straight up like Old Faithful.  You guys would
have gotten a huge laugh.  I slapped the plug back in when the water
stopped and the oil started coming out.  Anyway, I'm concerned that a
lot of that water got there via the gearshift connection to the
transmission and the resultant lack of lubrication and probably
corrosion is what's keeping the transmission and H-L range lever from
shifting.  With no lube up there I'm concerned about doing damage if I
try to move the tractor after I get it started.

I know that pulling the top off the transmission is not going to be as
simple as the crankcase cover... would appreciate any cautions and
suggestions on getting the transmission cover off... and most
importantly back on.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Robert M. Massengale