[Ford-ferguson] Stuck 8N Clutch

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Feb 21 14:26:15 PST 2005

When I finally got my 2N running, the clutch was stuck from sitting at
least 15 years. I ended up with a neighbor towing the Ford with another
tractor while I sat on the Ford with the transmission in 3rd and my foot
holding down the clutch pedal. It finally broke free, but it took a
while (with the rear wheels dragging in the dirt). After I got it
running (as well as I could), I purposely let the clutch slip while
driving in 1st to "polish" the clutch disc and flywheel. If the
situation is as bad as it sounds, I think Nat would be better off
splitting the tractor again, going over the flywheel and pressure plate
with a flap wheel or some other abrasive. 3M sells a mandrel mounted
soft disk that appears to be made of abrasive bonded to horse hair or
similar. It is much better at removing rust than a wire wheel and safer
too. He could use it on the clutch disk too and not cause any damage. It
is called "Scotch-Brite™ Clean 'n Strip™ XT Disc 27657"

Mike

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If it is committed in the name of God or country, there is no crime so
heinous that the public will not forgive it. -Tom Robbins, writer (1936-)