[Ford-ferguson] Stuck 8N Clutch

soffiler at myeastern.com soffiler at myeastern.com
Mon Feb 21 11:01:38 PST 2005

I've got a good buddy (who is not a member of this list)
that is dealing with the classic 8N stuck clutch problem.
In truth, it's been a few years since I owned an 8N so I'm a
little "rusty" on this subject (pun intended).  Mine used to
stick lightly once in a while, but I never had all that much
trouble unsticking it.  I have already told him about
keeping it depressed with a 2x4 when parked.  I am including
his message below.  Any comments would be appreciated!  He
wants to know if there are any foolproof tricks to get it
unstuck, and whether it's hopeless and will only be fixed by
replacing the clutch parts.

Steve O.

==============

Hi Steve,
  I have a Ford 8n stuck clutch problem, and was hoping you
had some advice.
  George's 8n is at my house and when I went to move it in
Nov.(It had sat for 3-4 weeks) the clutch was stuck
(engaged). The clutch pedal felt normal, I assumed something
was holding the pressure plate closed or preventing it from
releasing the disc.

 Two weeks ago I towed the tractor in my shop and split it
apart . The pressure plate/ bearing was fine, but the disc
was rusted to the flywheel with some surface rust. The
pressure plate also had some new surface rust on it.  I
cleaned the rust off the flywheel / disc and lined the
clutch disc up by eye and had the tractor together and
working  normal all within a few hours. It seemed like an
easy fix, but when I went to move it yesterday, the clutch
was stuck again. I can't believe the disc would stick to the
flywheel that quick. I could get the tractor in 1st gear
without the clutch, so I drove it around a bit, uphill with
the clutch in. I was hoping it would break free, but It
didn't. I even tried stepping on the brakes and pushing
against (actually driving into) a tree with the clutch pedal
depressed. So I guess the disc is really stuck again.

 Have you ever heard of this happening? I guessing the
moisture might have entered the clutch housing when I had
the steering box off last summer. Would the clutch would be
this sensitive to a little rust.  Could the fiber part of
the clutch disc absorb water?

 I'm  guessing the only solution now is to split it apart
again and change the disc/ plate /bearing.
 Thanks, Nat