[AJD] Was Working on D - ouch Now She Runs Again

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Thu Feb 17 20:01:35 PST 2005

Steve,

I am afraid that the advice I might give you about replacing a camshaft
in John Deere D would be worth even less than what you would pay for
such advice.  I didn't have to do any work on nor replace either the
camshaft or the crandshaft.  Any needed work was done a maybe ten years
ago when the engine was rebuilt.

I bought the D after it had been restored, after it had been parked for
ten years outdoors under a tarp with, a can over the exhaust.  At one
point or another, the tarp had torn or blown off the exhaust area with
the can no longer on the exhaust pipe.  I bought the tractor with a
stuck engine.  While I didn't mike the crandshaft journals they showed
no wear, and the rods fit well.  The rings are in good condition as
well. All I really had to do to it was repair the head and resurface it
and put it back together.  I haven't even changed the spark plugs yet!:)

I hope I haven't given the impression that I restored this tractor, all
  I did was get it to run again after 8-10 years.

As to your 59 year old camshaft, that doesn't mean it has been running
under load for 59 years.  I guess that unless I commit to a frame-up
restoration using new parts, I wouldn't fix what isn't broke.  You could
take it all apart and find out that the owner before the one you bought
it from had replaced everything in the engine with new.  So as my dad
used to tell me "Don't borrow trouble."

I know what you mean about the IT manuals, for me they leave a bit to be
desired.  I prefer lots of pictures.  Even better is having an
experienced person looking over my shoulder giving advice when needed.

Good Luck on your D

Gary