[AJD] timing crash test.............

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Wed Feb 16 08:15:12 PST 2005

Sounds like you're making some progress, Nick.  And you've learned a
valuable lesson.  I know two guys who have started a tractor (in gear) while
standing in front of the rear wheel.  One lost a leg, the other spent four
months in the hospital.  His chest was crushed.  And those are the lucky
ones!  Most antique tractor fans have developed a routine; they always
'jiggle' the gearshift lever before turning the key or stepping on the
starter.  Always.  That works, unless the shifter is very sloppy and wiggles
even when in gear.

I've given a lot of thought as to how to push or pull start a tractor by
myself, and the only thing I can see to do is chain the tractor to my
forklift.  I could set it up so that I can pick the rear wheels off the
ground with the forklift as soon as the engine starts.  Sounds good in
theory, but I haven't had enough guts to try it yet.  One of the problems
would be climbing on board to disengage the clutch... with the rear wheels
churning away.

I've pull-started a truck by myself.  I ran the ignition wires up to the tow
vehicle, and disconnected them as soon as the truck started and tried to
catch the tow vehicle.  Can't do that with most tractors.

Anyway, sounds to me like you need a new coil, and maybe capacitor.  When
you say that the coil reads zero ohms, do you mean zero as in less than one,
or zero as in 'OVLD', or open circuit (infinite resistance)?

-Karl