[AJD] My apologies to the List and Melanie

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Sat Feb 12 20:08:27 PST 2005

Been a couple of days since I checked my email, so it was quite an adventure
reading through all the messages on this subject. I have a lot of respect
for Dean and many others who post on this board. They have given a lot of
great advise and a lot of good food for thought. I am sure that we all have
said something about someone else in private that we would be quite ashamed
of if brought out in public. Not that it is acceptable to do so, just that
he who is without sin cast the first stone, etc. One has to also realize
that sometimes the written word does not accurately convey the true spirit
that it was intended, especially when put in a format that is abbreviated,
short, and to the point. Something that I am usually not accused of.

As far as pricing of parts, there will always be a conflict. I personally
feel that Mother Deere is gouging the antique tractor community. Hard for me
to see how they can justify the price on a lot of their parts for the older
machines. I realize that this has been cussed and discussed a lot, and there
are some good arguments on both sides. They do still have parts for
40,50,60, and 70 year old tractors and machinery. Something you can't say
about other brands. Suppose they will charge what they will like until we
stop buying their product. The alternative is to purchase aftermarket when
available, or used. Yes, there are some good deals to be had on Ebay, garage
sales and auctions. Have done all of the above. Gotten some reasonably
priced items from online classified ads. Have been burnt big time in the
process also. When it comes down to getting parts that are critical, I have
found that going to a good, reputable, knowledgeable vendor is the only way
to go. A lot of people will sell you parts, but if the part doesn't work,
you are SOL. Sharp's is one of the good guys. Are their prices high?
Sometimes yes. Can you get the part cheaper somewhere else? Sometimes yes,
sometimes no. Do I purchase parts exclusively from them? No. BUT.... when I
order parts from them, new or used, I know that I will receive good quality
merchandise that will be exactly as I ordered. Used parts will not be as
worn out or worse than the part I was wanting to replace. I also know that
if for some reason there was a breakdown in communication and the incorrect
part was sent, that all I have to do is give them a call and the correct
part will be on its way, no hassle, no questions asked. Furthermore, I know
that if I call about a technical question, that Melanie or Donnie will do
their very best to give me an answer. Have spent quite a bit of time on the
phone with Donnie about this and that when he probably had many other
pressing matters to attend to. Many times the advise was given with no
purchase of parts at that time. Have gone to their place and spent a lot of
their time when they clearly had other things to do. All of this adds up to
making it worthwhile to spend a few extra bucks on parts and pieces when you
know that you will have that kind of support and service after the sale.
Been trying to recall the saying that says something about the sweetness of
lower cost gone long before the bitterness of poor quality. Well, will  turn
it over to someone else now. Rave on.