[AJD] My apologies to the List and Melanie

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Fri Feb 11 19:24:36 PST 2005

Hi folks;

I agree that is unfortunate that Dean allowed his feelings to become public.
No one regrets this more than Dean himself, I am sure.   But, Dean is
nothing if not honestly perceptive and is in fact one of the great assets of
the antique John Deere list.  He has been of inestimable value to me,
personally, and I thank him for it.

But, I want to say, too, that I frequentlly share his frustration at
being -- let's be frank -- "ripped off" by high-toned but avaricious vendors
who would put Shylock himself to shame.  I'm sure most of us have felt the
same chill at being charged $50 for an air cleaner cup or upwards of $100
for a shutter control rod assembly, manufactured in some third world country
with sweatshop labor for probably no more than the price of a rickshaw
ticket, together with the slow, snotty service and al the rest.   I am not
talking about anyone specifically on the list.   Greg and Duane are the two
I've dealt with commercially and they are both fine individuals.  Doing John
Deere would be a joy indeed if these two were representative examples of
commercial suppliers and mechanics.

We all know that they, alas, are not.

Louis Godena