[AJD] My apologies to the List and Melanie

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Feb 11 21:32:37 PST 2005

Greg:

First of all let me say again. I made a serious mistake and I apologize for
it. I deeply regret what I said and even thinking it. I lost control of my
anger.

However, I believe it is part of this lists attributes to share information.
I also don't believe it is improper to shop around to find parts that one
can afford. That is how our competitive market works. Pricing one product at
$1,000,000 may work for some but the current market tends to be oriented in
the other direction. I am fully aware of the costs of salvaging a tractor or
creating a reproduction product. It is very difficult to make a profit. But
there is a limit to how much we are willing to pay. Where I draw the line is
when used parts prices are higher than available NOS parts and parts prices
that are too large a % of the value of the tractor being restored. There is
a limit. Either the prices of restored tractors have to be higher or there
is a finite limit on how much we can pay for parts to restore them.

Some may be willing to put $8,000 into a restoration and then find the
market is only willing to pay $4,000 for the restored tractor. I'm not one
of them. I try to avoid that and am willing to shop around to avoid that if
at all possible. My logic is to have several projects going simultaneously
so as not to get into a situation where I have to have the parts right now.
I'll be very happy if I get anywhere close to my investment in the tractors
when I have to sell them. I suspect I won't come close. I think in this
regard vendors are misleading us. Sure I receive a certain amount of joy &
satisfaction from the hobby and that has to be taken into consideration.
Unfortunately today isn't one of those days.

Therefore if I experience asking prices that are out of line with that
objective, I have to move on and try elsewhere. Now, should we share our
vendor experiences with others on the list or recommend places to get
products at a reasonable price? I think so. To me that is part of the
benefits of being a member of this list. And as a result benefits not only
list members but vendors who may need a little feedback.

Sharps and all vendors have a right to ask anything they want for their used
or new parts. However, I have a choice as to whether I'm willing to pay it.
Or look for other sources. And let me assure you a little work and
perseverance will usually pay off handsomely. Others may not have the time
to do the leg work to do so. That is their choice as well.

I found your comment about reproduction 800 Series hitch parts to be rather
interesting. I have been quoted prices for some specific reproduction 800
series parts in the past but I have never seen them show up on the market.
The prices I was quoted were not within my budget so I had to pass at the
time. Maybe they are another product that doesn't show up on web pages or
magazine ads. I sure would like to know about them if they are truly
available and at a price that I can handle.

When I gave my workshop, at the last GOG of the Green, I tried to make the
audience aware of anyone making and/or selling NOS/Used or reproduction
parts. The Old Tractor Company was at the top of the vendor list. For some
odd reason we customers seem to have to pry out of some vendors what is
available. I have real problems with that.

I appreciate a well done web site but what is more important to me and I
suspect others, is just being able to find out who has what for sale,
without having to make or send several phone calls, emails, etc. I suspect
that the prices of reproduction parts would come down dramatically if we the
customers knew where to get them. I suspect the sales volume would increase
significantly if we knew. Is there an artificial environment being supported
to maintain high prices?  I have no idea.

I now can see why there are so few reproduction parts suppliers entering the
supply chain.  It is a rather unpleasant environment to try to offer
additional products. I have experienced the full brunt of that today. If I
were younger it would only reinforce my desire invest more energy and
resources into it. Life is too short for this kind of stuff.

However, that is for the upcoming generation, if there really is going to be
one that collects tractors at the level we are today.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com