[AT] Pulling a sheepsfoot with a Ford 8n

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Fri Feb 11 08:11:10 PST 2005

Farmer, I would like to offer a thought. I don't now what frost knobs are as
we don't have ground freezing temperatures here in Coastal Central
California, but I can talk intelligently about rollers, compaction and field
smoothing. If the goal is simply to smooth and the field is not wet, why not
use what the old farmers here used - a series of boards or pieces of steel
placd together to form essentially a corrugated surface, with some concrete
weights on top. The first board knocks off a part of the bump, the second
knocks off some more and by the third or fourth one, you have a nice smooth
surface without excesssive compaction. Follow this with a spike harrow if
you still need to break up the surface clods a little.
    Simple, cheap and easy to set up - the hardest part is connecting the
boards together from the top without having too much sticking down that will
wear. Give it a try and I think you will find this works well.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister California