[AT] Pulling a sheepsfoot with a Ford 8n

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 10 19:24:47 PST 2005

Another very important part of this project is the dozer operator; as this
is a project where one must error on the safe side.     When we built our
shed, considerable fill was needed.  I was very fortunate that the dozer
operator was very conscientious; being paid by the hour worked best for both
of us.   Each layer was less than 2", and dozer packed before the next
layer.   Concurrent to that I rented a large skidsteer and had the bucket
full of dirt, and continually ran alongside the dozer.   We added 4' on one
corner, 8' on adjacent corners, and 11' on the far corner.   When we were
done, he drove a loaded tandem axle dump truck around on top; tires sank in
less than 1".   Most experienced grading contractors can tell you what
compaction is adequate for dams and how it has to be done in your area; for
example some GA red clay is a greyish and will not pack.
HTH, Herb