[AJD] working on D - ouch

Steve Treimer steelerhawk at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 11:14:40 PST 2005

Charlie and Bruce,

I have to start hanging out with you guys more.  I'll bet you're both
awfully successful with pick up lines too!

Gary, wow. That's sounds unbelievably cheap.  I think "pinning" the
head must be what you mean by stitching?...  Charles Dugan has a couple
heads, either repaired (pinned) or crack free, but he needed $400 plus
shipping for them and he was sure that they would need seats and valve
job yet and neither included valves/springs.  There aren't any parts
D's around here.  Beth and Charles had a decent D on Ebay a while back
that didn't make thier reserve and I think that must have been around
$2500.  But again, that's an 8 hour drive or more each way.

I took the parts into Midwest Cylinder Head in Nevada, IA.  They're
supposed to be the best in the state for working on and repairing
antique engines.  Problem is they were just now bought out by Arnold's
(the predominant machine shop in Iowa) and that pretty much gives
Arnold's a monopoly in this area.

Louis, you probably get a discount of some sort for
business-to-business?  Still, your experience assists you a great deal
here.  The machine shop you use probably knows your phone number by
heart and that if they aren't good to you they'll lose the immediate
work and maybe some future stuff too.  Maybe I should have tried the
machine shops in Moline (Gustaf's - I think was reasonable on car
engines when I was younger), but without the word-of-mouth reputation
and knowledge of working with 2 cylinders it makes it hard.

Maybe I should just think of this like paying tuition.  Someday you'll
forget the costs and just enjoy the sacrifices you made to get you
there?
Steve