[AT] Snow load

WF Smith WarrenSmith at PalmettoBuilders.net
Tue Feb 8 21:53:32 PST 2005

> Where do you get the ice dams you mentioned and how are they attached? My
> shop is 32x44 with 2ft overhang front and back and 1ft overhang
> on the ends
> and 5:12 pitch. The snow piles up on top and on a sunny winter day it is
> scary to walk in and out of the front or back of the building because the
> snow slides off in BIG sheets as the roof warms in the sun (its
> dark green).
> I got hit in the back by one of these avalanches last winter and
> it knocked
> me to my knees. It didn't hurt me too badly but I did cuss like a
> sailor for
> a while. My kids could get seriously hurt if they got hit like I did.
> Mark

Mark you can make your own. basically all you need is something sticking up
perpendicular to the roof slope. You didn't say if your roof was metal or
shingles. The dams for slate are usually thick copper or stainless wire bent
up into a loop and the ones for metal roofs are plexiglass angles. Google
ice-dams and find some pictures and you will be able to make some to go over
your doors.