[AT] Snoow load

Warren F. Smith WarrenSmith at PalmettoBuilders.net
Tue Feb 8 16:29:38 PST 2005

>>If it is an unsulated steel roof, would running a big space heater
>>underneath do any good for an hour or so.  I used to watch
>>the snow run off  my steel
>>building roof as we ran every heater we had just to keep from
>>freezing  to
>>death during zero deg weather...
>>
>>Cecil in OKla

I'm thinking that heating the underside would convert the snow to a solid
sheet of ice and invite it to wick up into every crack and crevice, but it
never gets all that cold here. When we get an ice/sleet storm here though
all the 3:12 and 4:12 shingled roofs in town seem to spring leaks at the
same time as the melting water leeches up under the shingles. a roof rake or
a leaf blower might be a better way to go. I know that around here on
'slick' roofs like slate or metal we commonly install ice dams to keep solid
sheets of ice from melting and sliding off and removing the gutters!

Warren