[AT] Snoow load

rasmith4 at juno.com rasmith4 at juno.com
Tue Feb 8 05:39:49 PST 2005

-- Ralph Goff <alfg at sasktel.net> wrote:

So I spent about an hour one sunny morning shovelling snow off the steel
roof. Hoping that it won't be necessary again. I'm starting to look at ideas
for building a long handled snow scraper that could be used at ground level
to reach up on the roof and remove snow.
Maybe if I build it I will never need to use it??

Right, a good defense is a good offense, or something like that.

Here in Central NY, where we average over 100 inches of snow a year, you can buy these devices in most any hardware store or home improvement store.  They are called "roof rakes".

Be warned however, that they can be dangerous.  Folks have been killed and others injured when using these things.  The snow often comes off the roof in large sheets that weigh several hundred pounds, landing on the rake operator.

Richard
In Central NY