[AT] Just another day at the office? (OT)

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Tue Feb 8 10:01:36 PST 2005

	Fencing the whole place with electric fence probably saved us more sheep than anything
else we did. Living next to town and housing developments wa had A LOT of dogs wandering
around. We also had coyotes from the railroad undergrowth and several wooded areas in the
neighborhood. We trained them by hanging strips of cheap (well as cheap as we could buy)
over the bottom hot wire in areas that we knew they used to cross the place a lot. In
almost no time the dogs just found other areas to prowl. Canines hate electric shock more
than any other animal I have ever seen get zapped.

	On pregnant ewes... I always fed them hay at least 1/4 mile from the barn where they
slept at night. I really believe in keeping them walking. Like Ricky I also kept
molassess/mineral block for them in addition to salt blocks. I kept those at scattered
locations also to encourage walking. I did feed them a very small amount of grain near
the barn each day. I was trying to get them to walk, not me.   :-)   In the later stages
of pregnancy I also fed bagged dried molasses with the grain.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net