[AT] Just another day at the office? (OT)

Ricky Prescott diamondp at centex.net
Tue Feb 8 07:10:39 PST 2005

One thing I do is put out some sort of Molasses blocks.  This seems to help
on pregnant ewes not getting the bloat so bad.  It will also cut down on
lamb loss and pregnancy disease.  HLS tubs are what I use.  Work your fences
good and make sure if you have net wire that all the wire goes to the
ground.  Where there is a draw or creek in your place is where the coyotes
will travel. They are like you, they will take the easiest path.  They will
not cross in the bottom of the creek or draw but will on the sides.  Look
for dig unders on the fences and set snares there.  Try to leave as little
scent as you can.  Make sure you have good heavy snares and tie them well.
IF you don't have any I will send you some.  The coyotes that are killing
your sheep do not live on your place.  They travel up to 5 miles to kill.
This is why it is so hard to kill them.  You might try getting someone to
hunt them for you.  There are plenty of hunters that will be at your door to
hunt if you just advertise. Let me know and I will get them in touch with
you. There are some good ones out there also.   They will not charge you
either.  Most want to get out and hunt varmints.  I do it all the time on my
places.  I run 90 head of Registered Rambouillets and 35 head of Dorpers.  I
recently purchased some guard dogs.  I will pick them up next weekend.  This
is also an option.   It is a constant battle to keep sheep alive.  Some
times the get the JD syndrome.  They Just Die.  Hope this helps.  Ask all
the questions you want. I am not that far from you so if you are interested
in a guard dog puppy just email me and we will work something out.   Ricky