[AT] Check the grounds, check the grounds, che...

Dean Vinson vinsond at voyager.net
Sat Feb 5 02:22:59 PST 2005

> 	This applies to more than old tractors and trucks.   :-)
> Check the grounds...
> Check the grounds...
> Check the grounds...   ;-)

Fluorescent light fixtures, especially the 2' lengths that I like to use
for accent lighting above a bathroom cabinet or that sort of thing,
never seem to work right if I just install them as they come from the
store.  Won't always come on right away, sometimes don't come on at all,
sometimes flicker.  Even if I scrape away the paint and make sure the
ground wire is well connected to the ballast housing.

I got tired of exercising my list of bad words every time that happened
so I figured I'd give Farmer's rule a try.  I started adding a length of
bare stranded copper wire right on top of the ballast cover/reflector,
screwed down at both ends, then tucked inside the cover and connected to
the ballast frame and the house wire ground.  Takes a few minutes but
the lamps start right away every time.

Dean Vinson  --  Dayton Ohio
<http://my.voyager.net/~vinsond/>