[AJD] Physics 101

Dave Mayfield johndeere at gwltd.com
Tue Feb 1 16:45:35 PST 2005

Well, back in my flying days. We use to preheat alot of engines. We had a
large heater cart, it was justa big furance on wheels. It ran on 100 octane
Av-gas. I pre-heated lots of DC-3's. The main reason you did this was to
thin the oil. On a DC-3 each engine had a 25 gal oil tank, and if you did
not heat it up before you started the engine, the oil would be so think that
the engine could not draw oil from the tank. You know what happens then.

I have started my 48 B, when the temp was around Zero, it started but it
took some doing. A pre-heater would be great.

J. Dave Mayfield
www.w9wrl.com