[Farmall] Titan update

Bill Bear Hood mmman at netscape.com
Sat Dec 31 16:49:45 PST 2005

Steve
I expected you to put your 2 cents worth on this subject.  I served as oiler on a couple of these old open gear cranes, draglines.  One a Northwest, one a BE.  Bad as the black gold thread dope we used to use making connections in the oil patch.

37 years ago, I bought my first batwing cutter, a 15' machine with 3 100 hp gearboxes.  I forget the brand, but it was not a major shortline player, and it used 200WT gear lube.  I could only buy it in one gallon cans.  My oldest, Brad, was about 2 1/2 or 3 years old and was helping me at the shop, because the boss lady was recovering from a hospital stay up at the house.  He found one of these cans of really rank lube oil and poured it over his head.  It ran all down in his clothes and filled the cowboy boots that Santa had recently brought.  I still remember the lecture I got when I got him to the house neckid and bare greasy footed (I threw the clothes and boots in the burn barrel).  She had me wash him in everything at the house and it still took 2 days to get all the smell and sticky out of his hair and off his skin. I do remember that Ivory Snow Laundry soap did the most good. I heard about that one for awhile, but since he grew up ok and we have been married 38 years now, maybe she has forgotten it--not!
Bear

--- steve sewell <sewell at oak.cats.ohiou.edu> wrote:

. As I believe that was used on old crane
gear boxes and is a lot like the open gear grease that was used on the old
cable cranes  - Trash the coveralls,