[AT] Amazing earth shattering event...

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Dec 30 06:02:21 PST 2005

I used to have absolutely no luck with easy outs.  For many years all I
could find were the ones that looked like a left hand twist tapered drill.
Then I got a set of the ones that are just square with a taper.  I have made
some of these when I could not find my set...  Made them from tool steel and
hardened it....  I found that the trick to an easy out is to drill the exact
center of the bolt.  ( well nearly! )   Then drill out the bolt to within
.010 of the root diameter of the threads.  This will relieve the stress on
the threads enough they will back out.  I also think that drilling that much
of the bolt out causes enough heat to shrink the threaded portion of the
bolt...  This has workde for me for the last 10 years or so...  YMMV

Cecil in OKla