[Steam-engine] SW Wood and sons 6hp

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Thu Dec 29 20:34:47 PST 2005

Hi!
     There is a historical society in Clyde, and I have had a few
conversations with folks there about a portable
they were trying to obtain. Did your engine come from that area within the
last 6 years, or was it from outside
the area? I have been trying to obtain more info myself, as I keep hearing
rumors about a portable in the area.
You know how it is, one guy says it's "all there", the other says "it's
missing the wheels", and nobody seems to
remember exactly where or who to contact. If you were the lucky guy to
"crack the case", congratulations! It's
been about 6 years since I've worked at finding it, and my contact closed up
the antique store they used to run
in town there. Your best bet would be to try and contact the local library,
and get the name of the historical
society contact. From there, if it's a small society, and it is, you could
offer to trade info with them, or offer to
pay outright for research if they don't volunteer any help. Offering to show
the engine at a community event is
a good way to get some free cooperation, too. If you need some leg-work done
on this end, let me know and
I'll see what I can do. I'm about 40 miles away from Clyde, and I need to
learn more about S.W. Wood anyways
as we have a museum in Camillus, New York, featuring New York built steam
engines. We are not officially
open, but if you are in the area, drop me an e-mail and we'll open up for a
tour. You can see the museum at:
http://www.eriecanalcamillus.com
just click on "Steam Engine"
Best Regards;