[AT] OT: intersting discussion about idiling a cold car

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Dec 14 05:14:05 PST 2005

Now days they are selling small diesel or propane powered HVAC units for
road tractors.  They aren't allowed to idle any longer and the drivers live
in the sleepers.  They have to stay warm some how.
I think those units sell for about $5000 or so.

I used to own a GMC cab over with an 8V71 Detroit.  I hauled local and was
home every night.  I kept a trickle charger on the batteries and a 110 V
block heater plugged in during the winter.
I would leave the  heater fan running on low.  The engine would start right
up and the cab was already warm.  Made cold mornings enjoyable.

Charlie