[AJD] A John Deere Question

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 22:00:31 PST 2005

Hi Marc,

   According to the parts manuals I have the A61R (sub
for AA3705R) was used from serial numbers 410,000 up
to 487,999 so that's 1936 through 1939 or all the
unstyled A's.  I have a set of these in the garge,
they measure 7 5/8 long with the 5 1/2 inch bore and
use the 1/4 rings.
    The next standard bore piston was the A2338R
piston.   that covers your 1940 to part way through
1947A's.  I don't have any standard bore pistons to
measure,  but I have a set of 45 over for the same
serial number range they are 3/16 of an inch longer
than the early pistons.

     If you move to the late styled A pistons
(standard) A3283R,  they 3/8 of an inch longer yet
than then 40-47 pistons.

     According to my Model A book,  at Serial number
488,000 the stroke was increased by 1/4 inch,  so I am
betting that also caused the change in piston size.
At 584,000 the piston size increased again,  but the
stroke remained the same.

      Hope that helps you out.

                     Chris