[AT] 8N Hard Steering - Update

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Dec 8 06:10:22 PST 2005

On 8 Dec 2005 at 0:15, Dudley Rupert wrote:

> Well Al you appear to have hit the nail squarely on the head -
> Yesterday the 8N owner and I raised the front end of his tractor and dropped
> the spindles.  The bushings looked good, there was very
little evidence of
> wear on the spindles and there was plenty of grease up
and down the
> spindles.  BUT the spindle thrust bearings were locked
solid.  In fact after
> taking them out I drove a conical shaped piece of oak up
through the inner
> bearing race, clamped the bottom of the piece of oak in
the vise and then
> had to use a pipe wrench on the outer race before I could
get the bearing to
> start turning.  The inner races of both bearings were
very tight on the
> spindles and the outer races were very loose in the axle
extensions.  The
> "actual" thrust-bearing surface appeared to have become
the surface between
> the top of the bearings and the bottom of the axle
extensions.  The
> abundance of grease in this area probably attenuated what
would otherwise
> have most likely been some excruciating grinding noise
when turning/steering
> the tractor.
> Amazing the difference two new fifteen-dollar ball
bearings made - they may
> wind up saving the owner hundreds of dollars.
> Again, thanks for the responses.
> Dudley
> Snohomish, Washington

	Sounds like sometime in its life it might have crossed a
deep creek often...

--
"farmer"
Living at Hewick Midwest

Sometimes we have to work at it a little but if we
are all going to age well we must indeed work at keeping a
positive attitude. We might as well go out in overdrive and
with the pedal to the metal because this thing called life
"don't got no reverse"...  There is no sense wasting
a lot of time trying to find one...
(FJR 2005)

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA