was:Re: [AT] Christmas Trees and Ships Plank Project now Liberty Ships

TCHARPE at aol.com TCHARPE at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 15:51:28 PST 2005

        Charlie,

            I don't have any idea as to the depth of draft of those Victory
Ships, but I'll bet
        it wasn't too much.

            The draft of my aircraft carrier was  21' loaded.

            At least they have preserved one specimen of the Liberty
Ships...... they didn't
        save the first one of these little carriers.  They built over  100 of
these carriers....don't
        recall the exact number.

            A battle damaged  TBM landed with a  100 lb bomb still on
board.... the bomb fell
        out and exploded killing the crew of  3  and 11 ship personel.  It
blew a hole through
        the flight deck and the ship was flying aircraft again by that
afternoon.  There just
        happened to be a photographer standing on the catwalk who shot a
picture as the
        bomb went off.   All you can see is a big cloud of smoke behind the
engine which was
        being blown forward through the air.   The aircraft was totally gone.
That photo was
        confiscated immediately and  was labled as "Top Secret".  After the
war,  they
        published a book of our ship and that picture is in it.   That was
the only picture ever
        taken during the war of such an incident in the entire Navy.

        Ted