[AT] Cracked diesel block opinion question and welding cast iron

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Dec 3 09:38:13 PST 2005

White "smoke" coming out of a diesel exhaust is just unburned fuel. If
it has glow plugs, they weren't lit up, but if it has a manifold
heater/burner, that isn't working either. You can rarely start a cold
diesel without some kind of source of ignition. I am not familiar with
the AC engine, but in the case of direct start IH engines, they use glow
plugs that have to be on for about a minute before cranking the engine.
Some of the older Ford diesels actually had a red hot igniter in the
intake manifold that would pass some burning fuel into the combustion
chambers, along with the raw fuel from the injectors. There are a number
of other schemes for lighting up a cold engine, but just plain cranking
won't usually do it.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"What is past is prologue." William Shakespeare (1564-1616)