[AT] How do you clean your tractors?

Jim and Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Thu Dec 8 18:40:46 PST 2005

I just got done restoring my Case SC this year.  I spent thousands on it -
probably more than $600 in paint materials alone.  I carefully took it to
its first show, along with a nicely restored 2 bottom plow.  After taking it
out to a open area with a nice background, I took several nice pictures of
it.  Then I went out and plowed with it.  Between the rain, dew, dust, dirt,
grease, and scratches on the drawbar, brake pedals, etc, it looked terrible
by the end of the weekend.   It washed up just fine when I got it home.
However, I didn't use the power washer on it since the paint was only a
couple days old.

I normally use a smaller (1800 psi) power washer to wash my stuff.  I use
Malco Red thunder degreaser, which is the best stuff to get oil, dirt, and
grease off of the tractors.  It has never harmed any of my paint.
http://www.malcopro.com/cgi-win/mselect.exe/1023  It is much better than
anything else I have found.    I don't worry too much about water hitting my
tractors.  I don't directly spray the mag or distributor or direct the power
washer at oil seals.  Those tractors used to set out in the rain and snow
for years, I don't think a little water from a garden hose is going to hurt
them.

Jim