[AT] RE: Cracked diesel block opinion question and welding cast

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 13:46:30 PST 2005

>   25. Re:  Cracked diesel block opinion question and welding cast
>       iron (carl gogol)

>Message: 25
>Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 17:11:37 -0500
>From: "carl gogol" <cgogol at twcny.rr.com>
>Subject: Re: [AT] Cracked diesel block opinion question and welding
>	cast iron
>To: "Antique tractor email discussion group"
>	<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
>
>Cecil-
>I like the way you think - that is the main reason I went out on a cold
>Saturday - if it wouldn't start it was clearly not worth the asking price!
>Question is how low can I get him to go?  They are discounting a lot below
>their original asking price since the block leak was discovered. Down to
>what they have in it I'm told.  Now a non-starter with injector or
>preheater
>problems (probably both in my mind) is a whole bigger problem leading to
>lots more discounts.  Well I have never had anyone give me a tractor, but
>there is always a first time.  Actually, now that I think about it I was
>offered a Ford lawn tractor with hydrostatic transmission about 15 years
>ago
>that I didn't take.
>How many hours can you get on a reasonably maintained Perkins diesel?
>
>Thanks also for the tip on ether and Perkins engines.
>Carl Gogol
>Manlius, NY
>(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
>Simplicity 3112 & 7116
>Kubota F-2400
Its not your concern how much they have in this tractor.  Just because they
may have made a bad deal doesn't mean that you need to follow suit.  If you
really like the machine and think the price is good if it starts good tell
them to fix the starting problem then you will buy it.  Could be as simple a
the battery needs charged.  Some diesels really have to spin over fast with
the starter to start.  It couls also need expensive repairs that we cannot
diagnose here.  Put the burden on the dealer if they refuse, walk away.