[AT] Re: Union Labor

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Sun Dec 4 16:01:43 PST 2005

Dean;

I didn't realize you were such a hot-headed cuss:-)!

I belong to the same union my father did (Local 94, Carpenters) and, though
I haven't worked with the tools for some time, I still keep my book, just in
case...  My son is a third-year apprentice in the Painters and Allied
Trades, and two of my daughters are in SEIU, so I guess you could call us a
"union family".   When I worked I put in a good day for good pay.  I
wouldn't have it any other way, though my take on economics is probably a
bit different than that of most of you.

My twenty years in the union has led me to experience the good and the
not-so-good, and I am almost always at some level of disagreement with many
of things unions do, but the alternative preached by labor's enemies I have
always found to be much worse.  Corruption?  Yes, but it reflects the
corruption that is at the heart of modern America, where people don't even
know what the truth is anymore, much less the difference between right and
wrong.   How could it be otherwise in a nation where "Buy Cheap and Sell
High" is practically the state religion?

Louis Godena