[AT] Cracked diesel block opinion question and welding cast iron

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 14:11:37 PST 2005

Cecil-
I like the way you think - that is the main reason I went out on a cold
Saturday - if it wouldn't start it was clearly not worth the asking price!
Question is how low can I get him to go?  They are discounting a lot below
their original asking price since the block leak was discovered. Down to
what they have in it I'm told.  Now a non-starter with injector or preheater
problems (probably both in my mind) is a whole bigger problem leading to
lots more discounts.  Well I have never had anyone give me a tractor, but
there is always a first time.  Actually, now that I think about it I was
offered a Ford lawn tractor with hydrostatic transmission about 15 years ago
that I didn't take.
How many hours can you get on a reasonably maintained Perkins diesel?

Thanks also for the tip on ether and Perkins engines.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116