[AJD] Ebay item-Dean

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Dec 1 01:14:03 PST 2005

Greg:

I was hoping nobody else would see that one. :-)  If eBayers realize what
this really is, the fact that all the pieces are there and unused (very
unusual) and realize they are unused almost anything can happen. I expect it
to go for a very high price. If it doesn't I'll be right in there slugging
away.

I'm tempted to call my brother in NW Iowa and send him over there to try to
capture it directly. It's only about 10 to 15 miles from where I was born
and raised. I don't know if you ever have been in the Doon, IA area. Doon
itself is a very small town. But years ago there was a huge antique tractor
salvage there. This is before Van Nordt Combine and Rock Valley Tractor
Salvage became players. I've been gone for over 45 years so I'm sure I don't
know all the connections but there is a reason all of that activity occurred
in the same general area.

There also is a fairy large John Deere dealer in Doon, IA currently. I don't
know where this eBay seller is getting these JD Gems but they sure have come
up with some rather rare pieces.  I'm curious how many other things are yet
to surface. I do know that the next time I go back home, I'm going to try to
look these people up.

But there are some other real hidden gems in my home area. Been there quite
awhile but I didn't find out about them until I started collecting in 1998.
A lot of hidden and quite large collections. There is a farmer 3 miles from
my home farm that has collected and restored at least one of every unstyled
and styled letter series JD. Has a similar collection of the First Numbered
series all the way through the 30 series. And then what really blew my mind
he has an extensive collection of at least one of most models of the popular
implements.  He even has quite a few of the NG tractors. Every time I'm back
there I think I'm a hog that has found a new fresh cow pie!

I don't know if you have ever been there or met the farmer. Nice guy.

I'm convinced there really isn't a shortage of the old Johnny Poppers. We
just make ourselves believe there is.

I suspect that this anvil will go for a very high price. If it doesn't I'll
own it. I happen to already own one of these exact anvils but I can assure
you, it's not a NOS one.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!