[AT] Re: Now these are plows!

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sat Aug 27 17:48:37 PDT 2005

My uncle used to have a big (to me) single bottom plow that would plow
16-20" deep.  Around here it was called a clearing plow.  As anyone who has
ever cleared brush knows, the root systems just under the ground are one
big mass.  In our area we used to have what they called "clump brush" which
had a 2-ft. clump of roots.  After you either cut or burned the brush off
you would use this plow to plow under the roots, which in theory would then
be slightly below normal plow depth and would not be a hindrance to working
the land.  I don't know how well it worked, as I was just a little kid
then, but I do remember my dad saying he had cleared at least 25 acres
using that plow.

Greg Hass