[Farmall] Temecula Tractor Races

Ed crest25 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 20 19:37:59 PDT 2005

Okay tractor fans. The Great Tractor Race is about to be upon us in Temecula, CA. (Where the hell is Temecula?) It's between San Diego and Riverside on I-15 near the Pechanga Indian Reservation.

I've been a radio communications/security volunteer for this even starting back in 1980. It's a kick in the pants and lots of fun otherwise I wouldn't stick with it. I crtainly don't get paid for my efforts other than good family entertainment.

I'd like to see more tractor entries. That means you. You see, the tractor races began on a bet between two local guys. One owned an old Dodge (1926ish) and the other a Model-A Ford (1928ish). "I can beat you back to town" or something to that effect was the bet. The Tractor Races was born. See, a tractor doesn't have to be a green John Deere, a red Farmall, or a yellow Ford. It can be anything with an engine and wheels that is a farm or ranch working vehicle.  That's why some old things you think are junk trucks or right out of the junk yard are actually hay haulers, diggers, towers, plowers, or just plain tractors. That makes the event just that much more fun.

But for me, I like to see the real tractors by MY definition. I don't need to tell you what that definition is. You already probably own one if you're on this list. So, what do you say. Are you up for a real tractor show in 2005?

The rules, etc. are all posted at http://www.tractorrace.com/ and the organizers are great folks. Dave and Sharon Johnson have been racing in the event for decades and now they organize it. Southwest Events is the official name after they took over the event from the Temecula Town Association when they decided to drop the event. Donations are donated to children in need normally at a children's home called Rancho Damacitas.

You can obtain more information by emailing info at tractorrace.com. I'm just a lonely volunteer who would love to share my 1946 Farmall with you at the races. Please bring yours along. Be sure to read the requirements. One is that is must have a roll bar. Hint: Plan on ignition getting wet going through a mud bog. Plan ways to keep it dry and keep your machine running. Speed is not always primary but keeping the wheels rolling is.

The races are on Sept 30, Oct 1 and 2 this year. That's a Fri, Sat, and Sun. See website for more info.

While I'm a volunteer for this event, I'd love to learn about other events perhaps in your area. Please share them with us.

Hope to see ya there.

Ed