[AT] Ford 640 with Sherman Backhoe Question

jfgrant jfgrant at triton.net
Fri Aug 26 14:33:41 PDT 2005

John as far as the rust/pitting at the end of one of the cylinders goes, I
have had good results using a strip of fine crocus cloth as using some fine
oil, "shoe polishing" the effected area and polishing it up that way. You
won't go thru the chrome finish unless you get carried away. Try it first.
If you don't keep the cylinders smooth and oiled they will destroy the "O"
ring seals and things will start to leak. As far as the two main pivots
point bushings are concerned, they MUST be in good order and kept lubed as
this takes most of the punishment. The bucket is ok if it fits. You don't
have to fill it each pass you know! Bigger is always better than too small!
Besides buckets are expensive. Just use it according to the power of the
machine. Good Luck.  John