[Farmall] Lost Steering on my A yesterday

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Fri Aug 26 07:13:17 PDT 2005

If the bolt was a 7/16 fine thread, it probably was the clamp bolt that
holds the steering arm to the sector shaft.  I have seen many that were
loose, but never one loose enough to fall out.  The piece of steel was
probably one side of the clamp part of the arm.  Does the broken piece have
a hole for a 7/16 bolt?  If that broke it wouldn't explain a sudden loss of
a lot of grease.  Maybe the grease had gradually leaked and this event just
knocked it loose from where it had accumulated.  Newer replacement arms were
redesigned to go on a redesigned sector shaft that uses a key and a nut on
the end of the shaft.  Both the arm and shaft will be badly worn and need
replacing.

If the bolt is 1/2 coarse thread, it is probably one of the bolts that holds
the bottom of the steering gear case onto the main housing.  That would
suggest another whole problem separate from why you lost the steering.

Jim Becker        jim.becker at verizon.net