[AT] Ford 640 with Sherman Backhoe Question

John Bukowski bukowski at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 22 09:41:40 PDT 2005

Hi All,

I had a Ford 640 with a Sherman Backhoe follow me home this weekend.  My
thinking is that I am getting way too old to continue digging on all my
projects with a shovel!!

The tractor seems to be a good shape mechanically, but could use a little
cosmetic work.  All my other tractors are users so it should feel at home in
the group.  The backhoe work well with no obvious leaks.  The only
mechanical issue I found with the backhoe is the bushing that the bucket
pivots on is worn and probably should be replaced.  Is this a big problem to
replace?  I have no experience with backhoes of any kind, so I don't have a
clue on where to find replacements bushing or the like.  I tried to find
Model info for the backhoe, but can not find anything on the unit (so far).
The tractor is a 1956 model, so I expect the backhoe to be similar in age.
I thought maybe someone on the list might have gone down the same road.

Regards

John Bukowski
Potomac, IL
Bukowski at uiuc.edu