[AT] Gasket installation

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Aug 15 18:22:36 PDT 2005

In the engine shop I had we used Permatex Ultra Copper on things like
water pumps, intake seals and things of that sort. I made up some
"combs" for folks who didn't use it a lot so they didn't go nuts with
the stuff. Took aluminum sheet and used a file to put triangular notches
on a couple edges, then you put a bead on and "combed" it so you had
three or four nice thin beads along the seal area.  Head gaskets were
dry always. For paper gaskets that didn't like to stay in place a quick
spray with HiTac gasket adhesive did the trick. Then you have the newer
liquid sealants that are used in place of regular gaskets. You apply an
activator to one part and a thin bead of the liquid to the other and put
them together, quick. That stuff REALLY sealed but was also easy to
remove.

Steve Williams